NEON Data Institute 2018: Remote Sensing with Reproducible Workflows using Python
Data Institute Overview
The 2018 Institute focuses on remote sensing of vegetation using open source tools and reproducible science workflows -- the primary programming language will be Python.
Through data intensive live-coding, short presentations, and small group work, we will cover topics including:
- Background theoretical concepts related to LiDAR and hyperspectral remote sensing
- Fundamental concepts required to ingest, visualize, process, and analyze NEON hyperspectral and LiDAR data.
- Best practices on reproducible research workflows: the importance of documentation, organization, version control, and automation.
- Scientific spatio-temporal applications of remote sensing data using open-source tools, namely Python and Jupyter Notebooks.
- Machine learning for prediction of biophysical variables such as above-ground biomass using NEON LiDAR and ground measurements.
- Classification of hyperspectral data using deep-learning approaches.
- Using remote sensing data products with in situ data to quantify uncertainty associated with remote sensing observations.
This Institute will be held at the NEON project headquarters 9-14 July 2018. In addition to the six days of in-person training, there are three weeks of pre-institute materials is to ensure that everyone comes to the Institute ready to work in a collaborative research environment. Pre-institute materials are online & individually paced, expect to spend 1-5 hrs/week depending on your familiarity with the topic.
Registration & Logistics
For information on how to apply, please see the application event page.
Read here for more information on the logistics of the Data Institute.
Please note that slight changes may be made to the schedule of the Data Institute.
|--||1 - 7 June||Computer Setup Materials|
|--||8 -14 June||Intro to NEON & Reproducible Science|
|--||15 - 21 June||Version Control & Collaborative Science with Git & GitHub|
|--||22 June - 5 July||Documentation of Your Workflow with Jupyter Notebooks – due to 4 July holiday this will be a 2-week interval|
|--||9 - 14 July||Data Institute|
|7:50am - 6:30 pm||Monday||Working with HDF5 & Hyperspectral Remote Sensing|
|8:00am - 6:30pm||Tuesday||Reproducible & Automated Workflows, Working with LiDAR data|
|8:00am - 6:30pm||Wednesday||Remote Sensing Uncertainty|
|8:00am - 6:30pm||Thursday||Fusion: Combining Data Products|
|8:00am - 6:30pm||Friday||Waveform Lidar & Individual/Group Applications|
|9:00am - 5:00pm||Saturday||Group Application Presentations|
Workshop materials will be posted in late spring.