We are forming a steering committee! You may nominate yourself or someone else for the Committee by filling out our form. Nominations will remain open until February 29, 2024.
Effective engagement with the broader scientific community is critical to ensuring the ongoing NCAR-NEON collaboration achieves its overarching goals. The NCAR-NEON-Community Steering Committee will serve as a collaborative and consultative body charged with setting priorities, providing guidance, and advising on the project scope and the following goals:
- Leverage observational, computational, and modeling capabilities at NCAR and NEON to improve Earth system prediction, observation, and data distribution
- Broaden access to and engagement with Earth system models and observational networks by university researchers and students without access to High Performance Computing (HPC) resources and not historically involved with model analysis and development
- Engage the university ecological community in Earth system modeling to build a culturally and academically diverse workforce of Earth system scientists
- Advance science and support community-driven collaborations in atmospheric science, macrosystems ecology, and land-atmosphere coupling
- Train the next generation of scientists by providing education modules, tutorials, and curricula
The committee will be encouraged to participate directly in the ongoing development of the model-data tool that is the major outcome of the project. A manuscript describing the tool can be found here.
The committee will consist of 10-12 members and approximate the following breakdown:
- Co-chairs from either NCAR or NEON and university-led (2)
- Student or postdoctoral members from the broader community (2-4)
- Additional NCAR staff (1-2)
- Additional NEON staff (1-2)
- Additional community members (3-5)
Chairs will serve a six-month term and be responsible for the scheduling of meetings and collecting agenda items before meetings. Community members will serve one-year terms, with the potential to renew.