Science Seminars and Data Skills Webinars
Join NEON for a public seminar series where scientists share their research, and new data skills webinars!
Science Seminar Series
NEON is organizing a monthly seminar series, with the overarching goal to build community among researchers at the intersection of ecology, environmental science, and NEON. Specifically, the series will:
- Highlight new findings and frontiers of ecology and NEON science
- Build a diverse and inclusive researcher community
- Showcase and catalyze partnerships
- Amplify resources and tools that enable cross-scale ecological research
You can nominate yourself or a colleague to give a future talk in the seminar series!
Nominate a seminar speaker
The schedule of seminar presentations for the 2022-23 year is as follows, with all talks held from 12-1 pm MT:
- Sept 13, 2022: Sydne Record, University of Maine. "Past and current land use of NEON sites" (recording available)
- October 11, 2022: Elizabeth LaRue University of Texas - El Paso. "Structural diversity as a predictor of ecosystem function across scales and ecoclimatic domains" (recording available)
- November 8, 2022: Theresa Crimmins and Alyssa Rosemartin, USA National Phenology Network and University of Arizona. "NEON and USA-NPN. Partnering to grow phenology collection, use, and understanding" (recording available)
- January 10, 2023: Roland Kays, North Carolina State University and Arielle Parsons, Lincoln Park Zoo. "NEON mammals large and small" (recording available)
- February 14, 2023: Stephanie Russo Carroll, University of Arizona and Global Indigenous Data Alliance. "Implementing the CARE Principles in open data repositories" (recording available)
- March 14, 2023: Erin Rooney, University of Tennessee Knoxville. "Using NEON soil and site properties to evaluate cross-scale freeze-thaw disturbance" (recording available)
- April 11, 2023: Kimberly Novick, Indiana University and Flurin Babst, University of Arizona, on behalf of the AmeriFlux Natural Climate Solutions (NCS) Working Group. "Nature-based climate solutions in AmeriFlux – optimizing ecosystem structure for climate mitigation"
- May 9, 2023: Sarah Shivers, Senior Product Manager; Keely Roth, Lead Scientist for Hyperspectral at Planet. "Planet's Hyperspectral Offering: A commercial mission with a public benefit"
- June 13, 2023: TBD
NOTE: We have enabled Zoom auto-generated captions for our sessions. If you wish to use this feature, please ensure your Zoom version is recently up-to-date.
REGISTER HERE for any and all Science Seminars!
Data Skills Webinars
In parallel with the seminar series, NEON will be offering a series of data skills training webinars, to guide community members in working with NEON data. Topics will be aligned with the theme of the preceding seminar, but attendance at the preceding seminar is not required.
- Registration is open to all.
- Some webinars will have prerequisites. See descriptions below and event web pages for details.
- All webinars will be recorded and available for viewing after the fact.
- Format: 1 hour of follow-along coding, followed by 30 minutes of Q&A. Coding language and installations required will be noted on the web page for each event, which will be linked below no later than 1 month prior.
The schedule of webinars is as follows, with all webinars held from 12:00-1:30 pm MT:
- Oct 4, 2022 – Download and Explore NEON Data. (Recording available)
- Oct 25, 2022 – Introduction to Lidar Data. (Recording available)
- Nov 29, 2022 – Work with NEON Plant Phenology Data. Prerequisite: Download and Explore NEON Data. (Recording available)
- Jan 31, 2023 - Introduction to NEON Small Mammal Data. Prerequisite: Download and Explore NEON Data. (Recording available)
- Feb 28, 2023 - Introduction to the NEON API. (Recording Available)
- Mar 28, 2023 - Introduction to NEON Soil Sensor Data. Recommended (not required) prerequisite: Download and Explore NEON Data (See recording from Oct 4 above).
- Apr 25, 2023 - Exploring Diurnal Cycles in Ecosystem Fluxes. Recommended (not required) prerequisite: Download and Explore NEON Data (See recording from Oct 4 above).
- May 30, 2023 - Introduction to NEON Hyperspectral Data in Google Earth Engine. Stay tuned for further details.