Growth in large ecological datasets and large environmental synthesis projects has resulted in the need for a diverse workforce with technical data science skills. A variety of organizations support underrepresented groups entering the data science field through training, mentoring, and networking opportunities. However, many of these initiatives have been developed in isolation, limiting opportunities for an exchange of ideas and lessons learned. We are hosting a conference to facilitate development of the Environmental Data Science Inclusion Network (EDSIN) to strengthen initiatives across existing alliances and organizations to recruit and retain individuals from underrepresented groups in data science careers.
Applications for in person attendance have closed. However, everyone is encouraged to participate remotely.
Who Should Participate Remotely
- Researchers focusing on recruitment and retention of underrepresented groups in STEM fields, quantitative biology education, or related areas
- Project leaders for STEM programs serving underrepresented groups
- Employers committed to hiring and retaining a diverse data science workforce
- Mentors with experience working with students and early career professionals underrepresented in STEM
- Evaluators doing work with STEM education programs
- Educators who teach data science skills to learners of all ages
- Anyone with strong interest in being part of these discussions and the developing network