The free HDFView application allows you to explore the contents of an HDF5 file.
To install HDFView:
Click to go to the download page.
From the section titled HDF-Java 2.1x Pre-Built Binary Distributions select the HDFView download option that matches the operating system and computer setup (32 bit vs 64 bit) that you have. The download will start automatically.
Open the downloaded file.
- Mac - You may want to add the HDFView application to your Applications directory.
- Windows - Unzip the file, open the folder, run the .exe file, and follow directions to complete installation.
- Open HDFView to ensure that the program installed correctly.
QGIS is a free, open-source GIS program. Installation is optional for the 2018 Data Institute. We will not directly be working with QGIS, however, some past participants have found it useful to have during the capstone projects.
To install QGIS:
Download the QGIS installer on the QGIS download page here. Follow the installation directions below for your operating system.
- Select the appropriate QGIS Standalone Installer Version for your computer.
- The download will automatically start.
- Open the .exe file and follow prompts to install (installation may take a while).
- Open QGIS to ensure that it is properly downloaded and installed.
Mac OS X
- Select KyngChaos QGIS download page. This will take you to a new page.
- Select the current version of QGIS. The file download (.dmg format) should start automatically.
- Once downloaded, run the .dmg file. When you run the .dmg, it will create a directory of installer packages that you need to run in a particular order. IMPORTANT: read the READ ME BEFORE INSTALLING.rtf file!
Install the packages in the directory in the order indicated.
- GDAL Complete.pkg
- QGIS.pkg - NOTE: you need to install GDAL, NumPy and matplotlib in order to successfully install QGIS on your Mac!
Once all of the packages are installed, open QGIS to ensure that it is properly installed.
- Select the appropriate download for your computer system.
- Note: if you have previous versions of QGIS installed on your system, you may run into problems. Check out
If you have questions or comments on this content, please contact us.