View the recorded talk here or below.
NEON will be presenting at the 2021 Great Smoky Mountains National Park Science Colloquium on March 4th, 2021.
This year’s colloquium will be a virtual event, taking place over Zoom. Learn about the science happening in Great Smoky Mountains National Park from the local and regional researchers that are making it happen! Registration is free and open to the public.
- When: Thursday, March 4, 2021 from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm EST
- Where: virtual via Zoom.
- Registration: Non-speakers who would like to view the colloquium on March 4th, can register here and will receive a Zoom link via email.
- Schedule and abstracts: GSMNP will post schedules and abstracts on the colloquium webpage as soon as the schedule is finalized.
NEON Domain 07 Field Ecologist Sarah Szito will be presenting about plant community data from NEON's Great Smoky Mountains National Park field site.
Abstract: The National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) provides open ecological data from 81 field sites across the United States, including one site at Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNPS). NEON data cover a wide range of subject areas within ecology, including organismal observations, biogeochemistry, remote sensing, and micrometeorology. Many datasets already span several years of data collection. In addition to open data, NEON also provides many resources that support land managers, researchers and educators, including sampling protocols, data skills training, and classroom-ready lesson plans. This talk will provide an introduction to resources for access and working with a variety of NEON data for your research or curriculum. It will also provide an analysis of NEON plant community data to show how species richness varies with elevation across GSMNPS. Lastly, it will showcase case studies of researchers using NEON data from the GSMNPS field site, as well as other field sties to show how NEON science can be an integral co-benefit of protecting and preserving natural communities.
Follow-Up Resources & Links:
- Where to find and download NEON data: NEON Data Portal
- Where to find information on NEON tools and Resources: Getting Started with NEON Data & Resources Webpage
- Who to get in touch with about NEON outreach events:
- Who to get in touch with about Domain 07:
View Sarah's Talk "NEON in the Smokies"