Basic R Skills
This series is provides tutorials and references on key skills needed to complete more complex tasks in R. It is not intended as a complete introduction to learning R. There are many wonderful online tutorials and R packages, including Swirl, for learning R.
R Skill Level: Beginner - you're learning, or refreshing on, the basics!
After completing the series, you will be able to:
Getting Started with the R Programming Language
- Use basic R syntax
- Explain the concepts of objects and assignment
- Explain the concepts of vector and data types
- Describe why you would or would not use factors
- Use basic few functions
Installing & Updating Packages in R
- Describe the basics of an R package
- Install a package in R
- Call (use) an installed R package
- Update a package in R
- View the packages installed on your computer
Build & Work With Functions in R
- Explain why we should divide programs into small, single-purpose functions
- Use a function that takes parameters (input values)
- Return a value from a function
- Set default values for function parameters
- Write, or define, a function
Things You’ll Need To Complete This Series
To complete the tutorial series you will need an updated version of R and, preferably, RStudio installed on your computer.