Application Deadline: NSF INCLUDES Conference - Bringing Conversations on Diversity and Inclusion in Data Science to the Environmental Sciences
- October 1, 2018: Application Deadline
- Early November: Notifications of Acceptance
- April 2-4, 2019: Conference takes place in Boulder, CO
About this Conference
Growth in large ecological datasets and large environmental synthesis projects has resulted in the need for a diverse workforce with technical data science skills. A variety of organizations support underrepresented groups entering the data science field through training, mentoring, and networking opportunities. However, many of these initiatives have been developed in isolation, limiting opportunities for an exchange of ideas and lessons learned. This conference will facilitate development of the Environmental Data Science Inclusion Network (EDSIN) to strengthen initiatives across existing alliances and organizations to recruit and retain individuals from underrepresented groups in data science careers.
Who Should Attend
- Researchers focusing on recruitment and retention of underrepresented groups in STEM fields, quantitative biology education, or related areas
- Project leaders for STEM programs serving underrepresented groups
- Employers committed to hiring and retaining a diverse data science workforce
- Mentors with experience working with students and early career professionals underrepresented in STEM
- Evaluators doing work with STEM education programs
- Educators who teach data science skills to learners of all ages
How to Apply
Funding is available through the National Science Foundation to support travel and participant costs for most attendees although there will be space available for those able to provide their own funding. Applications are due October 1, 2018. Applicants will be notified in early November of their acceptance.
If you would like additional information or have any questions about this event, please contact Alycia Crall.