Application Deadline for the NEON-ESA Early Career Scholars (NECS) Program
The application deadline for this program was 1:00 PM MDT on May 18, 2018 and is now closed.
Presenting research findings and participating in scientific dialogue are important experiences in the career development of researchers. To support their growth as effective scientists and communicators, the NEON project and the Ecological Society of America (ESA) are pleased to announce a 2018 NEON-ESA Early Career Scholars (NECS) program funded by the National Science Foundation to help cultivate and support a diverse group of early career scholars and practitioners.
The program is intended for early career scientists interested in going to ESA2018 and using (or learning more about using) NEON for their research. Interested applicants need to apply by May 18, 2018.
Once the application deadline closes, a review committee, with representatives from the NEON project and ESA, will select and support a cohort of early career scientists to attend the 2018 Ecological Society of America (ESA) meeting in New Orleans, LA. We encourage diverse candidates to apply, including people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Selected participants will receive $1500 to offset registration and travel expenses associated with attending the 2018 ESA meeting. The funds will be provided following participation in the conference including the following NEON activities.
- Sunday, August 5: “Access and Work with NEON Data” workshop: An introduction to discovering, accessing, and preparing a variety of NEON data for research
- Sunday, August 5: NECS Connected: An opportunity to talk with NEON project scientists and other researchers about research ideas and projects and to connect with other early career scientists looking to build research programs around NEON data
- Monday August 6: “NEON Resources for Your Research” workshop: Learn about NEON data and resources and interact with scientists working on the NEON project
- Monday August 6: "Innovative continental-scale ecological research enabled by NEON (National Ecological Observatory Network)" symposium 14008: The goal of this symposium is to showcase examples of the first wave of NEON-related research and analytical approaches for conducting research at broad scales.
- Application deadline: 1:00 PM MDT on May 18, 2018
- Selection notifications will occur by May 31, 2018 (2 weeks before ESA Early Bird Registration closes)