Data Institute 2018: Remote Sensing with Reproducible Workflows in Python
A deep dive into NEON’s Remote Sensing Data Products
During the course, participants will work with hyperspectral, lidar and RGB camera data collected by NEON’s Airborne Observation Platform (AOP). Students will have direct access to NEON’s science staff responsible for the collection, algorithm development and production of NEON AOP data. Workshop lessons will focus on how to efficiently utilize NEON AOP data for scientific applications and how common remote sensing processing methods will impact data quality. Additionally, participants will tour the NEON calibration facilities to gain a deeper understanding of the importance of calibration to reduce data uncertainty during collection and processing.
Through data intensive, hands-on activities, this course covers:
- Background theoretical concepts related to LiDAR and hyperspectral remote sensing
- Fundamental concepts required to ingest, visualize, process, and analyze NEON hyperspectral and LiDAR data.
- Best practices on reproducible research workflows: the importance of documentation, organization, version control, and automation.
- Scientific spatio-temporal applications of remote sensing data using open-source tools, namely Python and Jupyter Notebooks.
- Machine learning for prediction of biophysical variables such as above-ground biomass using NEON LiDAR and ground measurements.
- Classification of hyperspectral data using deep-learning approaches.
- Using remote sensing data products with in situ data to quantify uncertainty associated with remote sensing observations.
Applications for the 2018 Remote Sensing with Reproducible Workflows Data Institute are due 20 March 2017. Read more about the application process.
Tuition for the course is $650. Tuition includes all instruction as well as lunches, snacks, and coffee/tea each day of the course.
If you have any questions, please contact us.
Interested in NEON Data Institutes on other topics? Want to work with staff on the NEON project to provide training in other areas? Learn more about other topics or ways to collaborate here.
Data Institute Logistics
All particiapants will need to bring their own laptop with them to the event. More details about the necessary software that will be required will be available prior to the Institute. All required software will be free and available for download.
All aspects of the course are held at the Battelle-NEON headquarters in Boulder, Colorado.
1685 38th St., Suite 100 Boulder, CO 80301
Participants are responsible for finding their own housing. Boulder offers a wide variety of housing options.
Transportation to/from Denver International Airport
The RTD AB route runs directly between DIA and Boulder. Transit time is roughly 1 hr and the cost is $9 (see below for more information on bus passes, some passes include airport transit). Please note that if you pay on the bus, you must pay cash and the drivers can’t make change.
Transportation to/from NEON & around Boulder
There are several transportation options to get you to/from NEON (located at 1685 38th Street, Suite 100, Boulder, CO 80301) for attendance at the NEON Data Institute.
Bus passes can be purchased for Boulder’s/Colorado’s Regional Transit District (RTD). Bus route maps and route planners can be found online on RTD’s website.
Bike trails and routes connect many parts of Boulder.
- Many local bike shops in Boulder offer bike rentals.
- Boulder also offers a bike-share system, Boulder B-Cycle. The B-Cycle station at 38th & Arapahoe (13 parking docks) within a block of NEON. Helmets are not available with B-Cycle rentals, you may wish to bring your own.
Numerous taxi companies, as well as Uber and Lyft, operate in Boulder.
Vehicle Rental & Parking
- Vehicles can be rented from Hertz, Avis, Budget, etc.
- Visitor parking will be available at NEON for participants.
Lunches, snacks and coffee/tea will be provided each day. Participants are responsible for all other meals during the program. Dietary restrictions and preferences can be accomodated if requested prior to the event.
Cancellations must be received in writing to the NEON Data Skills team. In the case of cancellation after the payment of tuition,
- Full tuition, less processing fees, will be refunded if cancellation is more than 6 weeks prior to the start of the event.
This cancellation policy applies to all registrants. If extenuating circumstances arise causing the cancellation, please contact the NEON Data Skills team to make arrangements.