2017 Data Institute
Data Institute 2017: Remote Sensing with Reproducible Workflows
Our 2017 Institute focuses on remote sensing of vegetation using open source tools and reproducible science workflows – the primary programming language will be Python. The Institute will be held at NEON headquarters in June 2017. For more information on the institute, view the 2017 NEON Data Institute page.
Pre-institute activities: Participants complete a series of online activities for three weeks prior to the Institute that provided the fundemental knowledge for everyone to succeed in the in-person portion. Topics include how NEON collects data as well as reproducible workflow tools and techniques.
In-person course: The in-person portion of the Institute includes guest speakers on specific topics and hands-on data-intensive activities, as well as several individual/group activities and projects. The following topics will be covered:
- Day 1 - Using HDF5 & Intro to Using Hyperspectral Remote Sensing Data
- Day 2 - Automating Workflows & Intro to Using LiDAR Data
- Day 3 - Uncertainty in Remote Sensing Data
- Day 4 - Hyperspectral Remote Sensing of Vegetation
- Classification of Spectra
- Tree crown mapping
- Vegetation biomass calculations
- Day 5 - Individual & Small Group Applications w/ Instruction
- Day 6 - Presentations of Individual Applications
Who should attend?
Are you interested in heterogeneous ecological, biological and remote sensing data? The Institute is geared towards graduate students and early career scientists with some programming experience who want to develop critical skills and foundational knowledge for working with heterogeneous spatio-temporal data to address ecological questions. Qualified applicants are required to have some prior basic experience in the Python programming environment (or experience in another programming environment and willing to learn Python). All participants must bring their own laptop to participate in the hands-on data activities.
Key 2017 Dates
- Applications Open: 17 January 2017
- Application Deadline: 10 March 2017
- Notification of Acceptance: late March 2017
- Tuition payment due by: mid April 2017
- Pre-institute online activities: 1-17 June 2017
- Institute Dates: 19-24 June 2017
NEON’s Data Institutes provide critical skills and foundational knowledge for graduate students and early career scientists working with heterogeneous spatio-temporal data to address ecological questions. Learn more about NEON Data Institutes.
Applications for the 2017 Remote Sensing with Reproducible Workflows Data Institute have closed.
Tuition for the course is $750. Tuition includes all instruction as well as lunches, snacks, and coffee/tea each day of the course. Read the logistics page for more information.
The application primarily consists of answering multiple choice questions pertaining to your background using different data and tools in addition to a short statement of why you want to participate in the Data Institute.
If you have any questions, please contact us.